The #1 cause of sand related casting scrap as described by the Metalcasting Industry Researchers is hot sand. If you have a hot sand problem and your foundry is experiencing casting defects, the Simpson Multi-Cooler is the solution.
These are the most common hot sand-casting defects that the Multi-Cooler can correct:
- Pin Holes – Cavities in casting surface, either spherical, flattened, or elongated
- Sand Inclusions – Surface or sub-surface particles of sand, dross, or oxides which are embedded in the metal
- Washes – Rough spots and areas of excess metal caused by erosion of the mold
- Rough Surface – Casting surface that lacks required degree of smoothness
- Sand Stickiness – Excess metal on the surface of the casting caused by a portion of the mold face remaining on the pattern
- Broken Molds – Molds that are not strong enough to withstand pouring stresses
- Crushes – Indentations in the castings
To release the heat from a sand grain’s surface a certain amount of energy in the form of air and water is required. Thoroughly cooling sand takes time; with the Simpson Multi-Cooler cooled sand can be efficiently achieved.